Sunday 26 January 2020

The first two episodes of BBC's Dracula (2020) will haunt my thoughts for a long time to come

The first two episodes of BBC's Dracula (2020) will haunt my thoughts for a long time to come. It was such a wonderful reimagining of the story that for me it became the definitive telling of the story. And Claes Bang the best EVER Dracula. I was so looking forward to seeing bang's Dracula in 1897 London. Then oh dear. Better to delete the final episode from the archives and leave us with the Demeter about to arrive in England. Let the 2 episodes of the 3 planned be all that remain, like one of the great unfinished symphonies of the world.
The thing about every Dracula I've ever seen is it is never horrifying. Just silly. This was truly horrifying. Harker in the monastery was horrific, heartrending. And yes Claes Bang is the best Dracula ever, but I must say also John Heffernan is the best Harker ever. Brilliantly written, acted, makeup. And the nun reveal was truly gasp out loud fantastic. Why they then threw it away with the wretched last episode? 'Dracula in the modern day' is always shit. Always has been. It had to stay in its period. I'd like them to go back and rewrite the final episode and only then attach it to the previous two.



No comments:

Post a Comment

How lucky I am

Standing waiting for lift to take me down to washing machine, I thought how lucky I am to live here in Penicillin Mansions,and how lovely it...